Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Real, Clear Common Sense

-
John McIntyre at Real Clear Politics has perfectly described my take on the "domestic spy scandal" nonsense.

[[ In the run up to the 2004 election I debated a very left-wing professor who went on and on about how the Patriot Act was essentially a reincarnation of Gestapo or KGB tactics. I responded that I was of course concerned about individual liberties and the unfettered power of the state, but that in the post-9/11 world there is a balancing act between liberty and security, and that I would be more sympathetic to critics of the Patriot Act if they could point to specific cases of abuse. Show me the real alive Jane and Joe Americans who have had their liberties violated in some grotesque manner by the Patriot Act. Needless to say, the professor moved on.

I ask the same question today to the bloggers and pundits out there who are hyperventilating over the latest revelation that our security agencies are actually trying to do their job. Many of the people decrying these violations of civil liberties are the same ones who ripped the government for its inability to "connect-the-dots" prior to 9/11.
]]

It's a short piece, so please go and read the rest- it's well worth your time.

Connecting-the-Dots, Data Mining and the Loss of Real Civil Liberties

-

2 Comments:

Blogger kmg said...

I have not heard from him... but I do miss his wit and wisdom.

17/5/06 05:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The sad truth is it is probably going to take another devastating attack to convince many in this country that we are actually at war against Islamic jihadists."

Yeah, and with their ACLU allies...

Good article, Gunny.

Ooga Booga!!!

17/5/06 06:48  

Post a Comment

<< MAIN PAGE

web counter
web counter