Thursday, December 29, 2005

More Words

-
Next in our continuing series of lectures, we will tackle complaining, whining, and good old-fashioned excuse making.

"Complaining is like sitting in a rocking chair... you don't get anywhere, but it gives you something to do."

That is an old one... but it hits the point quite nicely. Complaining is everywhere... and nowhere so much as in the military. Probably growing as a natural function of lots of young people taking orders they don't always like- and just needing an outlet. Often times, it is harmless and cathartic... but like anything, if left to fester and if nurtured, it becomes a monster.

Ditto with excuses. It is almost an instinctive response for lots of people. I always joke to the Officers I'm training that before they begin shooting a course of fire at our range, they need to have their excuses ready. I always hear them... and I've heard them all. Not just for shooting, but for virtually everything you could imagine.

The most disturbing and potentially dangerous, though, is the "pre" excuse. This is the phenomenon wherein a person makes excuses for why they can't do something before they've even attempted it! Especially prevalent in children... this can lead to a special kind of laziness- a laziness bred from what amounts to a fear of trying.

I try to be optimistic about human nature. I really do. In fact, I am often told that I am way too optimistic and trusting... and, truth be told, that is probably true. I like being that way, though. It makes me wake up everyday with a feeling that great possibilities await. I like that feeling... a lot. Lately, however, I have been let down over and over- far more than I ever have been. I'm seeing the very worst side of a lot of people now- and it is taking a heavy toll on my spirit. I don't hold a lot of expectations for people... usually only that they be honest and treat others with respect and dignity, and all that. So I am always hurt when someone I really wanted to trust and believe in lets me down in one of those simple areas.

In any case, I will continue trying to clean up my little corner of the world... and trying to set a good example, as best I can. I will keep on saying these simple things to my kids, the Officers and Instructors that I lead, and anyone else who bothers to listen to my ramblings:

* Keep your complaining down to a dull roar- and keep working while you're complaining.

* Excuses are great... write them all down and we'll have a bonfire on Independence Day.

* Take care of people.

* Do what you can with what you have where you are right now.


(STANDARD DISCLAIMER: Thanks for listening to more ramblings, if, indeed, you did listen. Not responsible for any negative outcome. Definitely responsible for any added wisdom that could be even remotely attributed to these words- however unlikely that may be.)

-

5 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Your post brought back an old Christian song, called EXCUSES. The Chorus goes like this:

Excuses, excuses, you'll hear them every day. And the Devil he'll supply them, if the church you stay away. When people come to know the Lord, the Devil always loses So to keep them folks away from church, he offers them excuses.

My husband used to be very quiet - still is, most of the time. I'd ask him why he didn't talk more, and he'd say, "I figure if you don't have something important to say, be quiet".

29/12/05 20:27  
Blogger kmg said...

Barbara- thanks for sharing that song!! I also like what your husband said... that is true wisdom!

Tsar- I probably won't soon turn to an "accurate observer"... I like my foolish optimism too much to give it up easily. I do often feel like Charlie Brown with the football, though...

Re the 5.56: I've been hearing a lot of the same... and am trying to get good word on it. A change like that will likely effect us here at the Lab, too...

In our current wars, there has been produced a giant load of evidence as to the lack of stopping power of the 5.56. Most of us already knew this...

It is my fondest hope that they will ditch the "NATO" round and move on.

30/12/05 06:32  
Blogger kmg said...

Enlightening, as always, Husker!

30/12/05 19:48  
Blogger devildog6771 said...

I think we must be kindred spirits. I have heard all those comments too. I have even been rediculed by my own family and had themactually laugh in my face. I still prefer to believe in hope, the power of an inviduals idea, or a single vote. Dopn't change. Stay true to yourself. You are no good to anyone else if you do not stay true to yourself. I am glad I found your blog.

1/1/06 02:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do what you can with what you have where you are right now.

That's my favorite quote from now on.

3/1/06 11:34  

Post a Comment

<< MAIN PAGE

web counter
web counter