Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Hmm... Maybe You Should Make Good Movies

-
The numbers have shown that "G" and "PG" movies have done much better box office than the "PG-13" and "R" crap that hollywood keeps putting out. They just have to have their gratuitous sex and violence, though... otherwise, their "creativity" is stifled, I guess.

I just never understood what was creative about filling a movie with as many F-bombs as you can fit in- or showing close-ups of heads exploding, etc. I guess it creatively covers up the fact that your screen writers are talentless hacks...

[[ With the last of the summer blockbusters fading from the multiplex, Hollywood's box office slump has hardened into a reality that is setting the movie industry on edge. The drop in ticket sales from last summer to this summer, the most important moviegoing season, is projected to be 9 percent by Labor Day, and the drop in attendance is expected to be even deeper, 11.5 percent, according to Exhibitor Relations, which tracks the box office.

Multiples theories for the decline abound: a failure of studio marketing, the rising price of gas, the lure of alternate entertainment, even the prevalence of commercials and pesky cellphones inside once-sacrosanct theaters. But many movie executives and industry experts are beginning to conclude that something more fundamental is at work: Too many Hollywood movies these days, they say, just are not good enough.
]] (LINK to story)

Do you like how they blame the price of gas? That is awesome!

-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be the first to admit that I think twice or more before seeing certain movies with certain actors. I eventually watched "The Aviator", but I passed by dozens of opportunities to do so before I finally watched what was a rather good movie.

However, I saw three movies in theaters this summer:

Star Wars III (evidence that a good story with good actors can still put out a bad movie due to a bad director, no matter what talent they had at one time).

War of the Worlds (ditto Star Wars)

Bad News Bears (perfect example of immature Hollywood not able to make a movie without sex and vulgar language. Sure their is no actual sex, just strippers and cleavage; after all, it is a kid's movie).

The first movie was my choice, the latter two were my kids. My kids wanted to leave somewhere in the middle of their choices. Star Wars is proof that I can be drawn into a cult, and why that is a bad thing.

24/8/05 08:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always like to think of the example of Jurassic Park (which was a good film) and its sequel, JP II (which was not).

JP II embodied all of the worst excesses of Hollywood: rehashed plotline, cameos by previous actors to lend a false sense of continuity, excessive re-use of popular elements from the first film (i.e. T-rex, raptors)and, most important to Hollywood, a VERY heavy dose of Leftist preaching (I mean, come on---a hero who is an Earth First member???).

The same could be said for many sequels, and indeed for many first films.

Frankly, in the last 10 years or so, I have only gone to the movies 4 times: the first two Harry Potter films, Finding Nemo (which I found rather tedious), and The Perfect Storm. I regret not seeing the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the theater, but then I think of what I did with the $30 I saved by not doing so, and I'm not that sorry.

In the end, I'd rather not pollute my head with the immoral ideals most of these movies seem to be based on or at least reflect. I've got too many memories of my own moral failings to try to fight off without pouring new ones into the mix.

Pomoze Bog.
Tsar Lazar

24/8/05 12:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I've seen it, but if memory serves me correctly, Jurassic Park 3 was remarkably good...especially after the second one was so horrendous.

Just my 2 cents...

24/8/05 14:36  

Post a Comment

<< MAIN PAGE

web counter
web counter