Friday, January 20, 2006

What's The Chance?

-
I am frequently reminded of the fact that one never knows what is to come. No matter how carefully we plan... no matter what the "forecasters" say... no matter which team is "supposed" to win...

The element of Chance is capricious and, I believe, somewhat ornery in its business. Those who have felt its arbitrary touch know exactly what I mean. Often, it makes absolutely no cosmic sense to us when something completely unexpected happens. Sometimes we chalk it up to Fate... or God's own hand... or just dumb luck.

Sometimes the results are desired and bring happiness... but more often, they are not. When they are good, they are "miraculous" - when bad, they are "disastrous." Either way, the absolute randomness of Chance is something that we must not ponder too deeply. I have always felt that Socrates was thinking of Chance's mischief when he wrote "Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first drive mad."

Anyway, however you take it- Chance or just plain coincidence (of which I am always suspicious)- the fact is that events are often hugely effected by unexpected circumstances. Humans have always found their different ways to explain it; but whatever the explanation, it is a fact of life.

Here are my two examples for the day... two completely unexpected, totally unpredictable, and seemingly unrelated items.

First Item

Second Item

Soooooo... what do you think...? Unrelated?

Hmmmm... I wonder.

Si-ya...

kmg

-

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pomoze Bog.

Bravo, Gunny...this was a good 'un. :)

I love this line:

"She said: "When I first came round I just opened my eyes and shouted, 'I can see, I can see.' When I looked in the mirror I said, 'Oh.'"

As your juxtapositioning clearly shows, blindness can come in many forms, both literal and figurative.

And speaking of blindness, Frank Lindh has begged Dubyah to pardon his traitorous, scumbag son, the "American Taliban" John Walker Lindh. He claimed his son was "tortured" by US troops after his capture.

Personally, I hope so. If I were among the troops that captured him, watching while he shot at my buddies, he would have died on the battlefield of a "brain hemorrage."

20/1/06 06:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pomoze Bog.

Although I do not believe in Chance, in the spirit of this posting I have to say,

What is the chance of something this good happening again soon???

Crash wipes out IRGC ground forces leadership
A civil-registered Dassault Falcon 20E VIP business jet operated by the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) crashed on 9 January killing the crew and much of the senior leadership of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Ground Forces.
[Jane's Defence Weekly- first posted to http://jdw.janes.com – 13 January 2006]

20/1/06 16:46  

Post a Comment

<< MAIN PAGE

web counter
web counter